Posted on Jan 13, 2020
In 1769 John Beale, a master baker from Royston in Hertfordshire, set up shop in Oxford Street. Four generations later, William Beale moved into a 5-storey building in the Holloway Road to accommodate a bakery, groceries, banqueting and a restaurant, the largest such enterprise in North London. In 1945 his grandson, Edward Beale, took the lease on West Lodge Park from Enfield Council and gradually turned the unlicensed premises with permanent residents from the war years into a modern hotel. He started planting fine specimen.