• To Emma Curtis (WLP Reception) on the birth of Lily-Rose, and to Santina Courtenay-Luck (WLP Safiya) on the birth of Chloe. Mothers and babies are all doing well and we are delighted for them all.
• To Sue Dixon who has completed fifteen years service at WLP. Sue is seen here with Andrew and Tony receiving her certificate [pic left] and to Emma Curtis who has completed five years service at WLP.
• To Diego Granada on his promotion to Head Chef at BH, and to Barry Crossley, currently junior Sous at WLP on his promotion to Sous chef at BH
• To Adam Brooks the ‘Simply The Best’ Winner for the month of September.
• To the WLP team for being shortlisted in the Visit London Awards 2007. The award category is the one for Sustainable Tourism, and the other shortlisted organisations for this award include the National Maritime Museum, Harper Collins publishers and the huge Novotel in Hammersmith. The award will be announced at the end of November.
• To Julie Penrose (nee Day) (BH C&B) who was married to Ben at WLP and had a lovely reception in the John Evelyn suite. [pic right]
• To Alderman John Stuttard, Lord Mayor of London, on planting a Quercus Petraea Purpurea (Sessile Oak) in the grounds at WLP. He represents the same ward in the City as Dick Whittington did, exactly 400 years ago. Wonderful to see such a great tradition continue. We have trees planted at WLP by 11 Lord Mayors.
to Natalie Rose who joins WLP Safiya as Health & Beauty Therapist. (pic right)
Not only have we been shortlisted for the Visit London awards but we have also entered the Coutts Bank Family Business of the Year award, the Hertfordshire Business Award for Best Business website, the Queens Award for sustainable enterprise, and the Considerate Hotel of the Year awards. News on all of these to follow as we get it.
• WLP Room 16 is being turned into a very lovely Executive room with up to date furnishings, furry throw on the bed, carpet, curtains and new bathroom fittings. Outside painting is now complete for this year with a very smart look to the John Evelyn elevation and to the elevation above the front door of the hotel. [pic right]
• At BH the still room extension is almost finished, the cloakroom is ready for the busy autumn banqueting season, and work continues on the exciting 19 room extension due next summer.
...exciting special events programmes for 2008 are being worked at for both hotels at present, including a words and music evening at WLP with Gerald Dickens (pic right), great great grandson of Charles Dickens, a special Hertfordshire dinner at WLP to celebrate our association with a number of fine local producers in this great county, and a Taittinger evening to celebrate our increasingly close links with this wonderful Champagne family.