• to the WLP management team for a series of promotions – Chris Hall (left) to Deputy GM, Ben Morcombe (middle) to F&B Manager, Stephen Sims to Restaurant Manager, Richard Chmiel to C&B Manager – fantastic news for you all and so delighted to see the team taking on new responsibilities in this way.
• to Callum Kennedy (above right) and Matthew Gundy at BH after scoring 84% in the first ever Beales Hotels Health and Safety audit, conducted by Nick Tilley. Exciting it ain’t, but so very necessary in litigious times. A superb result after a lot of hard work.
to Tricia Yen, Pastry Chef BH all the way from Vancouver, to Jessica Barnes Cedar Restaurant WLP all the way from Zimbabwe, and to Aimie Chatfield, p/t Training and Development Manager all the way from, er, Welwyn Garden City!
The most intensive period of refurbishments at WLP for many years is under way with the following areas complete or almost complete.
• Room 4 is now complete – a showcase bedroom and bathroom at the top end of the market, complete with DVD/CD player and flat screen TV
• Work is almost complete on the lounge and reception areas which have been a huge improvement to the feel of the hotel.
• We are currently researching some alternative furniture solutions for the Terrace Bar
• Management offices are being moved around with the C&B team taking over the relative sanctuary of the first floor business centre and the operational team moving into the office adjacent to reception – a more logical location for the day to day management of the hotel.
• The walk in fridge in the kitchen is being extended to allow for storage of re-generation trolleys of plated banqueting dishes.
• The kitchen and Safiya Beauty rooms are being fitted with air conditioning – a major step forward.
• The new bar terrace will be built this month – a huge improvement to the hotel.
• Planning permission is now in for the new floor of rooms at BH with an anticipated start date of July 08. This scheme will give the hotel a total of 70 rooms with 65 superior rooms and 5 deluxe suites. It is anticipated that we will put air conditioning into all or the majority of the bedrooms.
The website now has a sitemap to give an alternative way of navigating around the site.
• Check out the new BH Christmas 2007 brochure available in the hotels and online as a download.
• Enjoy the fresh new look of the website home page giving bedroom availability at both hotels directly off the home page (see pic right)
Lots of training being completed this month:
• Company inductions WLP 18/5 10am, and at BH 5/6 6pm
• Health and Safety training for all staff – 90 minute sessions all day at BH on 14/5 and at WLP on 22/5
• First aid at WLP 15/5
• Basic food hygiene at BH 23/5
• ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) weekly at WLP 10am Mondays
The government legislation on smoking in public places becomes law on 1st July. No staff smoking will be permitted at WLP or BH within the buildings, and smoking is already banned in all function rooms, bars, reception areas, bedrooms, and corridors at both hotels. Smoking areas are provided in: WLP Bar terrace, Chestnut Lodge entrance, John Evelyn Room terrace, Front door; BH Bar terrace, Front door, Buckland Deck. As a company we welcome the legislation with the health and welfare of our 200 staff being the prime concern.